Sempert’s Drug is a Good Neighbor Pharmacy®. And like a good neighbor, Sempert’s is here for you! Our team of pharmacy and pharmaceutical experts are available to answer questions, provide information on medications and guide you on your path to recovery and health.
Everyone experiences disappointment or sadness in life. But if the “down” times last a long time or interfere with your ability to function, you may be suffering from a common medical illness called depression. Major depression affects your mood, mind, … Continue reading
Show Mother Earth Some Love this Month!
The annual celebration of Earth Day is Wednesday, April 22. Show some love to our Mother Earth by participating in one or both of the Earth Day activities listed below. Please note that these events are not on April 22, but are being held on days near to the actual Earth Day.
Ivy Removal: Woolen Mill
On Saturday, April 25 from 10am – 1pm, the Parks and Recreation Commission will host an ivy removal project in the Woolen Mill area. Many of the gorgeous Monterey Cypress trees in this area are in desperate need to have the ivy removed. This is the second annual ivy removal project in this area. Activities include: Invasive Plant Removal.
Michelle Hampton, firstname.lastname@example.org, 541-347-2437
3rd Annual Bay Area Brigade
On Saturday, April 18 from 9am-1pm join us as we clean up Coos Bay and North Bend! We will start at the new Coos Historical Maritime Museum site parking lot. The prominent bay-front property is east of Highway 101, along historic Front Street across from the Sun Printing Museum in Coos Bay. We will finish at the North Bend Fire Dept. 1880 McPherson, NB, OR 97459 Registration: 8-9 am (coffee, donut holes) Cleanup: 9-11:30 (Bulldog, Pirate and Laker teams along 101 S from Coalbank S Bridge to McCullough Bridge) BBQ/Awards: 11:30-12:45 (hot dogs, chips, potato salad, watermelon, cookies, pop, lemonade) Activities include: Invasive Plant Removal and Litter Cleanup.
Deborah Rudd, email@example.com, 541-888-5558 x58
Read the Experts on Quitting Smoking
Sempert’s Drug is a Good Neighbor Pharmacy that cares about your health! Good Neighbor Pharmacy has a robust Quit Smoking Guide to help you quit smoking successfully.
No matter how old you are or how long you’ve smoked, quitting now can help you live longer and be healthier. People who stop smoking before age 50 cut their risk of dying in the next 15 years in half compared with those who keep smoking. (But quitting at ANY age is a great thing, so if you’re older than 50, don’t think it’s too late. It’s never too late to quit smoking and improve your health, says the American Cancer Society.)
Check out the health benefits of quitting smoking:
- Ex-smokers enjoy a higher quality of life, with fewer illnesses such as colds and the flu, lower rates of bronchitis and pneumonia, and an overall healthier feeling compared with those who still smoke.
- Ex-smokers live longer than people who keep smoking.
- Quitting smoking lowers the risk of lung cancer, other cancers, heart attack, stroke and chronic lung disease.
- The health benefits of quitting smoking are far greater than any risks from the small weight gain (usually less than 10 pounds) or any emotional or psychological problems that may follow quitting.
- Coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath begin to improve.
- Those who quit smoking enjoy better breath, healthier teeth and a reduced chance of developing cancers of the mouth and throat.
- Twenty minutes after quitting, your heart rate and blood pressure begin to drop. Twelve hours after quitting, the carbon-monoxide level in your blood drops to normal. Two weeks to three months after quitting, your circulation improves.
Make the commitment to quit. Now. You’ll soon be enjoying all the wonderful benefits of being a non-smoker. Happy new year!
Source: American Cancer Society; American Dental Association; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; U.S. Surgeon General’s Report
Ah, spring. Budding flowers. Blooming trees. It’s beautiful, but for those with allergies, it’s a mixed blessing. Now’s the time of year when allergy sufferers will want to reduce their exposure to allergy triggers. Here’s help. Try to stay indoors … Continue reading
Learn about heart disease in this easy to read infographic. Click on it to make it larger.
Then head over to February’s Health Connection Newsletter to learn how to keep your Heart Healthy this month and throughout the year!